Refund gas fees for signer setup fails

Hi all, I’m noticing a high amount of signer setup fails over the past few months which is a big negative for the tbtc bridge as it decreases trust in the product.

This proposal is similar to (Proposal: Amendment to reimburse failed mint tx fees) however I am proposing that only signer setups that fail get compensated as technically they have done absolutely nothing wrong.

In addition, would be great to hear about how this might be mitigated in V2. Can there be a voting system where nodes get booted from the sortino pool? Scoring? My understanding is that currently the punishment for having defective node is extremely minor (e.g. on failing to setup on a 5btc keep, the punishment is 0.021 eth VS gas fees of sometimes 0.2 eth spent by depositor) when actually it should be much more punitive.

I am proposing that every depositor who’s keep ended in a ‘Signer setup failed’ state, should have a one-time full reimbursement either in eth or in KEEP as of a given snapshot date. I strongly believe that this gesture of goodwill would go a long way to appease depositors who have lost a lot of money using the tbtc bridge through no fall of their own.

Thanks for listening,

1 Like